Nostradamus, Jerry Falwell or whoever the latest End of Days predictor may be has had a lot of motivation toward their cause lately. Don’t let freaky, uncharacteristically inclement weather get your spirits down. Instead, raise your spirits by pouring them into one of those adorable little hug mugs.
Curl up in your adult onesie with built-in butt flap, run video loop of a blazing fire on your TV and chase away seasonal cold symptoms with a remedy born of the British Isles in the early 19th century. Originally containing whiskey, sugar, water and lemon, the toddy has evolved into a cottage niche. The beauty of the toddy is that ingredients can be swapped and replaced interchangeably so long as two factors remain in place; that the temperature of the beverage is a warm and the overall effect, soothing.
The alleged analgesic components of the drink may or may not cure what ails you. That’s not really for ADANAI to determine. Annals of history will have you believe steady consumption of the drink does in fact alleviate symptoms of sickness. Anal doctors on the other hand would probably tell you that alcohol only makes things worse in the long run. It’s up to you. Before going any further, decide if you’re for the annals or the anals…
Good, you’ve made the right decision. Keep in mind that ingredients in the below recipe are mostly interchangeable:
Spoon Full of Toddy
– 1 ounce Dewar’s Highlander Honey (substitute: any blended scotch)
– 1 ounce Fonseca Vintage Port (substitute: any vintage port wine or increase whiskey content to 2 oz.)
– 3 ounces freshly brewed English breakfast tea
– 1 tablespoon Fire Cider (substitute: 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar)
– 1 stalk lemongrass washed and ends chopped off
– 2 tablespoons agave syrup (substitute: honey or sugar)
– 2 cinnamon sticks
1. In saucepan, steep tea.
2. Add lemongrass, agave and cinnamon sticks.
3. Bring to simmer.
4. Add Dewar’s Highlander and Fronseca.
5. Continue to heat briefly (the longer the alcohol stays on the stove, the more it burns off).
6. Remove from stove coil.
7. Throw away lemongrass stalk.
8. Pour into hug mug (cinnamon sticks optional).